These brownies are completely vegan and gluten free, although you’d never guess it taking a bite. Perfectly crisp on the outside, super fudgey centre, chewy or gooey in all the right places! This treat is for parents and big kids if they’re on good behaviour.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Servings 16 brownies
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) ground chia
- 1/2 cup ( 120 ml) + 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) coconut oil
- 1 cup (200g) demerara sugar, or raw cane sugar
- 3/4 cup (90g) coconut sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (100g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (100g) + 2 tbsp (15g) coconut flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt finely ground
- 3/4 cup (100g) semi-sweet dark chocolate chopped into chunks
- Combine ground chia and water in a bowl. Whisk together. Wait at least 10 minutes for consistency to become egg-like.
- In a saucepan melt coconut oil, add demerara sugar, and coconut sugar and vanilla. Add chia egg and stir to combine liquids.
- Sift cocoa powder and coconut flour into a large mixing bowl, add baking powder and sea salt and mix to combine. Then pour in liquid mixture. Stir to combine, but don’t over mix. Add semi-sweet dark chocolate chunks and stir again to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Line a baking dish with parchment paper and pour brownie mix into dish (I used a 7x7 inch baking dish), smooth with spatula to even. Bake brownies for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the brownie comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.