Mini Cottage Pies
Want to cook something new and easy for your kid then try this "mini cottage pie" recipe. Easy, healthy and tasty. 100% guaranteed!
Makes: 8 pies
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Age: 12+ months
450g lean beef mince
400ml low sodium beef stock
100g red lentils
70g grated cheddar cheese
1 garlic clove
2 Tbsp tomato puree
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil + greasing
- Finely chop the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and add to a pan with the oil.
- Cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the mince and cook for 5-8 minutes, until browned. Break it up into small pieces as it cooks and scoop away excess fat.
- Add the tomato puree and lentils and mix well to combine.
- Cook for 2 minutes stirring continuously then pour in the stock.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes and the cauliflower into florets.
- Place in a pot, cover with water and boil for 12-15 minutes, until soft.
- Drain through a strainer and mash in a bowl with the milk to reach a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and place 8 small ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Divide the beef sauce between the ramekins and top with a dollop of potato and cauliflower mash. Sprinkle over the grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and consume within 3 days.
- You can freeze the pies before cooking for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen at 180C for 30-35 minutes, until golden and thoroughly cooked through.
Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information Typical Values:
|Nutrient||per 100g||per serving (186g)|
of which saturates
of which sugars
|Vitamin A (reteq)||182ug (23%)||338ug|
% reference intake of an average adult (8400kJ/2000kcal)